??1. Hunting and Fishing
??2. Foraging
??3. Gardening and Farming
??4. Cooking and Canning
??5. Baking
??6. Sewing, Knitting, Crocheting, Brading, Knot tying
??7. Home-brewing and Fermentation
??8. Mechanics and Engineering
??9. Medical Science
??10. Teaching, Childcare, Natal and Postnatal Care
??11. Building, Maintenance and Repair.
??12. Carpentry and Woodworking
??13. Fuel making
Carpentry and woodworking should be added to 8; building simple furniture, fencing, reinforcing doors/roofs/windows, simple structures (such as for composting, storing firewood or shelter for animals), etc. Plus it's a skill that you can just as readily provide to your neighbors.
I suggest adding some knowledge of chemistry to this. Like what can I use or make to clean water safely or how to create a potential fuel source. Or you know not killing yourself or others by making something dangerous on accident. (Like the guy that drank Koi pond cleaner) or knowing what can be potentially weaponized if needed.
I would distinctly add poisons to medical science. Although toxicology is a part of medical science it is not emphasized. Knowledge of poisons enables you to handle them safely, neutralize & weaponize, or avoid them if needed.
I would add blacksmithing & smelting & metal casting. Tools made of iron, copper, brass, aluminum or whatever metal don't make themselves.
Some things to consider:
1) Buy non-hybrid or heirloom seeds so that you can save the seeds each year for next year. I have seeds that are 8 generations old, and they still grow true to their original form.
2) You can make sour dough starter when yeast is scarce. There are enough yeast spores floating in the air to make it without additional yeast
3) Buy books on edible plants and mushrooms in your region, and start looking around you. I have tons of edible weeds in my yard, lol.
4) learn bicycle repair
5) Buy a clothesline for your backyard, or a drying rack if in an apartment
6) Dont hate me, but consider eating less meat. You can get complete proteins from plant food. It's a lot cheaper for prepping!
Wishing all of us good luck and a secure future!
You can plant potatoes, garlic, sweet potatoes from the produce section of the grocery store. I saved seeds from acorn squash and planted them too.
One thing to consider, though, is that you CAN save the seed from hybrid plants. You will hear that they won't grow. They will grow - they just won't grow true to the one you collected the seeds from. A hybrid is just the result of a cross of two different varieties of the same species. The plants grown from the hybrid plant's seed will express the characteristics of the varieties that went into producing the hybrid. They might be tasty, and then again, they just might have a long shelf-life!
n the subject of books I would suggest that people 1st check them out from libraries that way you can see how well they work for you in your area, skill level, and needs before you spend the money always look for use books where and when you can.
Moringa has all the important amino acids
??2. Foraging
??3. Gardening and Farming
??4. Cooking and Canning
??5. Baking
??6. Sewing, Knitting, Crocheting, Brading, Knot tying
??7. Home-brewing and Fermentation
??8. Mechanics and Engineering
??9. Medical Science
??10. Teaching, Childcare, Natal and Postnatal Care
??11. Building, Maintenance and Repair.
??12. Carpentry and Woodworking
??13. Fuel making
Carpentry and woodworking should be added to 8; building simple furniture, fencing, reinforcing doors/roofs/windows, simple structures (such as for composting, storing firewood or shelter for animals), etc. Plus it's a skill that you can just as readily provide to your neighbors.
I suggest adding some knowledge of chemistry to this. Like what can I use or make to clean water safely or how to create a potential fuel source. Or you know not killing yourself or others by making something dangerous on accident. (Like the guy that drank Koi pond cleaner) or knowing what can be potentially weaponized if needed.
I would distinctly add poisons to medical science. Although toxicology is a part of medical science it is not emphasized. Knowledge of poisons enables you to handle them safely, neutralize & weaponize, or avoid them if needed.
I would add blacksmithing & smelting & metal casting. Tools made of iron, copper, brass, aluminum or whatever metal don't make themselves.
Some things to consider:
1) Buy non-hybrid or heirloom seeds so that you can save the seeds each year for next year. I have seeds that are 8 generations old, and they still grow true to their original form.
2) You can make sour dough starter when yeast is scarce. There are enough yeast spores floating in the air to make it without additional yeast
3) Buy books on edible plants and mushrooms in your region, and start looking around you. I have tons of edible weeds in my yard, lol.
4) learn bicycle repair
5) Buy a clothesline for your backyard, or a drying rack if in an apartment
6) Dont hate me, but consider eating less meat. You can get complete proteins from plant food. It's a lot cheaper for prepping!
Wishing all of us good luck and a secure future!
You can plant potatoes, garlic, sweet potatoes from the produce section of the grocery store. I saved seeds from acorn squash and planted them too.
One thing to consider, though, is that you CAN save the seed from hybrid plants. You will hear that they won't grow. They will grow - they just won't grow true to the one you collected the seeds from. A hybrid is just the result of a cross of two different varieties of the same species. The plants grown from the hybrid plant's seed will express the characteristics of the varieties that went into producing the hybrid. They might be tasty, and then again, they just might have a long shelf-life!
n the subject of books I would suggest that people 1st check them out from libraries that way you can see how well they work for you in your area, skill level, and needs before you spend the money always look for use books where and when you can.
Moringa has all the important amino acids
In Venezuela it costs $5 to repair your shoes. It costs $50 for a brand new pair. A teacher in Venezuela gets paid $3 U.S a month. They repair instead of buying.
And knitting socks! I got into loom knitting because I wanted to learn to make my own socks, and it looked easier than knitting with needles. Loom knitting requires more equipment though, so there is a trade-off.
I'm a retirement-age female, so people look at me and their knee-jerk reaction is, "what can she do?. I saw a t-shirt the other day that said, "Your first mistake was thinking I'm just an old lady!" One of the things about living a long life is gaining skills along the way. I'm old enough to remember macrame. I'm a knitter, crocheter, and a SPINNER, and have a large collection of wool yarn that will keep one warm even when wet. It's one of my prized possessions.
Like you I'm a retired woman. Prior military, ASVAB score of 99 and a Meyers Briggs INTJ personality. Three college degrees. In the last ten years I have taught myself to garden, preserve food, raise chickens, heat with wood, and basic home improvement skills. I push myself every day to become more resilient and self sufficient.
I've taught myself to crochet. Very useful. I can make bags, baskets, hats, rugs, dishcloths and towels, scarfs, shawls, sweaters, tops, dresses, pants, garments of all kinds, I also use Paracord to crochet various items in such a way that if you need the Paracord for something else you can take the item apart. I'm learning how to can and ferment food. I'm learning how to bake bread and yes this really does take practice. Haven't mastered it yet. I've planted a container garden on the apartment building roof. I'm growing tomatoes, potatoes, radishes, squash, cucumbers, eggplant, collard greens, celery, carrots, Swiss chard, lavender, rosemary, thyme, sage, parsley, mint, oregano, and basil. I've taught myself how to make soap and candles. This lockdown clearly showed me that I need to make myself more self sufficient. Still a lot on your list I could learn. Very empowering to gain skills.
One of the greatest 'skills' you can develop is puzzle solving. Instead of proclaiming 'I can't' do this, develop a McGyver type mind-set which requires one to figure things out - how it works, what it does, and what can I use it for.
No comments:
Post a Comment