Friday, May 29, 2020

No job impact

I got laid off at the end of March. Was told at the time that we would call you back in 2 weeks the length of our original stay at home order. However 2 weeks has turned into 2 months. Learned today that my company has reorganized and won't be bringing everyone back. My position is on hold and "IF" it does come back it will entail more reasonability and at the same pay but the boss did not know when that will be. Maybe I am old fashioned but I take that as my job is pretty much gone for good so I will be entering the job market along with 41 million others here soon. Most difficult thing is coming up with a strategy? I assume apply now but with so many businesses closed I don't think it will get read and likely lost in the shuffle. I said 2 months ago that if the stay at home order only lasted a few weeks this shut down would have been a blip on the radar screen but now that it has gone on for what feels like forever a lot of damage has been done. I estimate when things fully reopen the unemployment will drop but I still see it pegged at 15 to 20% for a long time. I am not really worried about finding a job in the long term but in the short term its going to be scary. We (my wife and I) are prepared but only for about 1 year.

Solution 1: Start your business now, whatever that is.

Yeah my wife got furloughed as well. Luckily in her case her boss calls weekly with an update and with Phase 2 possibly coming June 1st her boss called today with a tentative game plan. She actually made more then me so if she gets back to work and if things return to normal in 2 or 3 months we will be fine for the time being. A little tight here and there but we will get thru it. Now if my some strange reason her job vanishes as well we will be going on savings after the unemployment runs out. I think if we really stretch it we an go 12 to 18 months but after that we will be moving into tent city. Actually I got a strong family so I will likely always have a place to stay but it sure will be sad seeing 20 years of progress vaporized in a short period of time. We are prepared about as well as anyone could be but it won't last forever!


No comments:

Post a Comment