Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Developing skills for free

I went to college because I wanted to understand how things work in the life sciences, physics, mathematics, and engineering.  I had an engineering job for a while, but discovered it was not for me.  I like the knowledge and do not regret the years I spent studying even though it took over a decade to pay off the debt I incurred.   However, the game has changed now.  MIT, Harvard, the University of California, and many others have "open courseware" where you can download lecture notes, videos of lectures, and even textbooks for free.  With these resources you can get a world class education for free.  You will not have a degree, but you can have the equivalent knowledge.   If you want to be a computer programmer, free computer programming books are widely available and so are the compilers for many languages including c, c++, visual basic.  I took that route to learn how to write apps for Windows and Android platforms. If your interests lie elsewhere, I would suggest checking out what is available for free on the internet, then get a college catalog and see what curriculum you should follow (what subjects to study) and get the knowledge that way.   There are infinite opportunities out there if you have the right knowledge, and knowledge has never been more accessible.

No comments:

Post a Comment