Saturday, April 11, 2020

Businesses in tough time

it's messed. I got my own business but it is farming/manufacturing in Niagara. Grapes for wine/processing. All the hospitality industry is closed. I have fixed costs without labour over 150K just being idle. I can't sell existing inventory as no customers open. If I decide to operate the farm into production and my sales are down 80% I have to take a massive hit over 350K. No government bailout for us besides a pathetic 40K loan. Insurance will not pay. So if I operate and have no sales I definitely will be in bankruptcy within 1 year. If I take the 150K hit I may survive with cash reserves if economy bounces back in 2 years to low levels but be at break even and pray I make money again in 2-3 yrs at 50% what I'm at now and have my employees 4 of them. I will not risk taking a loan to lose my land and heavy equipment with my house.
Have a crack at selling online. Somebody has got to be buying, you can flog the stuff out the back door under the quarantine radar. Worst case, what other uses are there for wine? It might sound like sacrilege, but you could go over to making alcohol-based hand sanitiser, as an option. I dunno. These days you've got to think laterally.

No comments:

Post a Comment